Contrary to claim by the Nigerian Army on Wednesday, that, troops were able to rescue all victims of attack at Borno Yesu village in Magameri local government along the Gubio, Magumeri road.
Friends, spiritual leaders, Associates, wives and relations of some of the victims, particularly lecturers of the Department of Geology, University of Maiduguri, Borno State have different stories all together.
Many, who also belong to the University Community also wondered why issues on the unfortunate incident on Tuesday were being kept away from the people.
Family members of some of the affected victims who spoke with DAILY POST Correspondent, Thursday morning, made a striking revelation that five lecturers from the University were killed in the ambush.
According to them, they were at the University of Maiduguri Teaching Hospital (UMTH) morgue where they saw some corpses brought and one of the lecturers killed was identified. However, they could not get through to their husbands, friends or relations said to have been rescued by the military on Wednesday.
“We have been trying to get them on their phone, but they cannot be reached. All attempt to find out from the Army failed. I even went to the army barracks at Maimalari yesterday, but I did not see any of them. However, I was reliable told that my friend, Dr. Joseph died in the attack. What about the rest of them that were said to have been rescued?” Mr. Adams Biyu asked DAILY POST in Maiduguri.
Prompted by too many enquiries, DAILY POST sought response from the University.
Speaking to former HOD Mass Communications, Dr. Mohammed Gujibawu, he said there were reports of such all over the place, but claimed he had no details.
Also, the Chief Spokesman of the University, Professor Danjuma Gambo, who spoke to DAILY POST on phone said, he was not on ground at the moment and had limited access to information on happenings at the University. He, however, promise to get more information on the claims as soon as he returns from Abuja.
While speaking with Col. Kingsley Samuel, Deputy Director, Army Public Relations on the matter, he told DAILY POST that, his powers are limited regarding information on the incident as it was not directly under the 7 division, Nigerian Army.
“You have to get in contact with Abuja on this, as I have no available information. It is under the 8 division,” he said.
Abuja, however, did not reply to a WhatsApp message sent to the Director, Army Public Relations, Brigadier General Sani Usman Kukasheka, who earlier in a statement claimed that, the military succeeded in rescuing all victims of the attack.